Our governance structure has been designed to reflect our vision of a liquid organisation that is agile and adapts to rapidly changing environments.
Since we believe in self-organization and the concept of stigmergy, we aim to keep contributions, leadership and our governance structure as organic as possible. OuiShare is a do-ocracy, which means that decision making is based on actions.
To achieve its mission, Antonin, Flore, Edwin and Benjamin co-founded a non-profit legal structure (association) based in France in May 2012, as a legal vehicle to support the projects of the community. The governance structure that exists today has been developed by a distributed team that is growing the community locally and globally.
See a complete overview of our governance structure and our management handbook on our wiki.
Membership & Levels of Involvement
Individuals can have 3 levels of involvement within OuiShare. They are Members, Connectors or Friends.
- Members are individuals who identify themselves with the OuiShare mission, values and culture, and actively contribute to community activities, such as events, projects or online discussions. Read more about membership and how to join.
- Connectors are the highly active members that put our mission into action day by day. They are community and project leaders who participate in the creation of the OuiShare strategy and take part in decision-making processes.
- Friends: If you are not a Connector or a Member and are still reading this paragraph, then you are surely a Friend. You support us, talk about us, spread the news and are interested in our activities.
See all our Connectors on our team page.
How we are Funded
OuiShare is a non profit organization. All our work is shared openly. To cover the costs of operational and strategic activities, OuiShare draws from several sources of funding:
- Sponsorships and ticket sales (mostly for events)
- Public grants and subsidies
- Global Partners, who are forward-looking organizations that support OuiShare on an annual basis
- Donations from individuals
As our flagship project, our OuiShare Fest as well as large projects like POC21 and the sponsorships they have been financed with, represent the most significant part of our budget today. They also subsidize many of our operational activities such as accounting and communications. Therefore it is our aim to diminish our dependency on these projects over time by increasing our financing from member donations and grants.
Projects are managed in a financially autonomous way, but can receive ignition funding from the global budget to get started. If profitable, projects can also help cover the overall organizational costs, as for instance OuiShare Fest.
If you like what we do, please support us with your donation.